How to make CBD Lotion:
Here are the Ingredients to make your own CBD oil.
- ½ cup shea butter (preferably unrefined)
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- 2 tsp (1/8 cup) vegetable glycerin (optional)
- 2 tsp concentrated CBD oil or tincture
- Any fragrant essential oil
(Cocoa butter can be used as an alternative to shea butter)
CBD Lotion Materials:
- Double boiler
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Hand mixer a blender
- Glass container
CBD Lotion Recipe:
- Measure all ingredients before beginning.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with an inch or two of water. If you do not have a double boiler, simply place a heat-proof bowl on top of a traditional cooking pot.
- Warm water over low to medium heat. Add the shea butter and coconut oil to the top of the double boiler.
- Gently melt the shea butter and coconut oil until there are no lumps, stirring frequently to combine the oils and prevent scorching.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and remove oils from atop the water. Transfer to a glass blender or heat-safe bowl.
- Allow the oil mixture to cool for at least one full hour, scraping down the sides of the bowl with spatula if needed.
- Add aloe vera gel, vegetable glycerine, your desired amount of essential oil, and your desired amount of CBD oil.
- Use a hand mixer or blender to emulsify all ingredients and create a whipped consistency.
Calculating the Dosage for your CBD Lotion Recipe
Making CBD or cannabis oil is a great idea and cost effective. However, it is important to know (rough estimate) how much product you are infusing into your lotion.
The dosage of the CBD cream will depend on the initial concentration of the CBD or cannabis oil you are using. Typically, CBD tinctures are measured in milligrams per milliliter. This recipe, however, uses cups and tablespoons. To get a ballpark idea of how much CBD is infused into your cream, you need to break out the calculator!
(If your dosage still is not strong enough after crunching the numbers you may want to halve the contents of the primary oils in the recipe listed above in order to increase the concentration of the CBD in you product.)
Step 1: Convert Cups to Milliliters
First, you need to convert the amount of lotion you have from cups to milliliters
(Approximate number of cups) X (0.236588 liters) X (1000 milliliters)
One and a half cups of lotion yields approximately 355 milliliters.
Step 2: Milligrams of CBD per Milliliter of lotion
Next, you will need to figure out how many milligrams of CBD are in each milligram of lotion. (Grams per milliliter of CBD added X total milliliters added) / (Total milliliters from step 1)
Step 3: Convert Milliliter to Teaspoons
It’s difficult to tell exactly how many milliliters of lotion you are spreading on your skin. So, for an easier visual, you can convert milliliters to teaspoons. That way, you can get a ballpark estimate of how much CBD you are actually applying to your skin.
Step 2 (5 milliliters per teaspoon) *
This will give you a rough total amount of CBD found in a teaspoon-sized dollop of your homemade CBD cream.